The Historic Masonic Theatre is an architectural treasure. A three-story, Beaux Arts brick building with pilastered facade, a cove ceiling lobby and original performance hall with stage and balcony, the historic theatre will be transformed into a performing arts, entertainment, education, and community facility.
Once known as The Mason Hall and Opera House, the building was constructed in 1905 and throughout its history hosted western movie icons like Lash LaRue, who rode his horse down the theatre aisle, and Roy Rogers, who once appeared with his wonder horse Trigger.
Other stars made the Masonic Theatre a part of their performance legacy. Performers included Gene Autry, Tex Ritter, Cowboy Bob Steele, and Hopalong Cassidy, as well as legends Burl Ives, the Drifters, and the world famous Count Basie Orchestra.
The mission of the Masonic Theatre Preservation Foundation is to serve the greater Alleghany Highlands community with a variety of educational, entertainment, business and social programs; partner with organizations in need of a facility to host their programs and expand and enhance utilization of the Masonic Theatre and Amphitheatre, providing first-class venues for performance as well as multi-use space for community activities. As a result, the programs and activities in the theatre will augment the area’s tourism, economic and business development, enticing more visitors to the Alleghany Highlands, and the community will come together, supporting and encouraging educational and cultural programming initiated by and for the community.